Lessons from the AU model

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Mon Jan 21 02:44:33 UTC 2008

On 21/01/2008, at 12:43 PM, Martin Barry wrote:

> This was basically setting up the next comment which was in relation
> to how
> this situation ("my customer is now at a multi-lateral peering point
> I'm on")
> is not really an issue as far as the bean-counters are concerned.
> Unless any
> ratio limit you have was applicable to that customer.

We don't really have a lot of ratio-limit issues over here.  Nobody
is going to say, "Our traffic is way imbalanced so I'm not peering
with you anymore," when transit costs hundreds of bucks per megabit.

The industry in .au is very firmly stratified into one group
containing Telstra, Singtel/Optus, AAPT/TNZ and MCI-703, and another
group containing everyone else.  The everyone-else crowd (which
makes up well over half of the domestic marketplace) is perfectly
happy to exchange traffic with each other on almost any terms
whatsoever if it means they can reduce or elminiate their financial
commitments to the other four.

   - mark

Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au
  (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:
newton at atdot.dotat.org  (H)
Internode Systems Pty Ltd                 Desk:   +61-8-82282999