Lessons from the AU model

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Mon Jan 21 01:58:05 UTC 2008

> Standard practice would be to localpref customer routes over peering routes.

unless unusual agreements exist with peers, this is pretty much normal
config everywhere ever since vaf whacked asp and me in '96.  otherwise,
if you peer multiple places, the peer sees inconsistent routes, which
usually gets you a nastygram from rigorous peers.

> Likely to result in assymetric routing as the customer prefers peering
> routes over transit.

omg!  asymmetric routing on the internet!  world at eleven, end of news
predicted! :)

meeting at multiple points and hot potato gets you asymmetry right off
the bat.

randy