Cost per prefix [was: request for help w/ ATT and terminology]

Jeff McAdams jeffm at iglou.com
Mon Jan 21 01:20:36 UTC 2008

Joe Abley wrote:
> On 20-Jan-2008, at 15:34, William Herrin wrote:

>> Perhaps your definition of "entry level DFZ router" differs from mine.
>> I selected a Cisco 7600 w/ sup720-3bxl or rsp720-3xcl as my baseline
>> for an entry level DFZ router.

> A new cisco 2851 can be found for under $10k and can take a gig of RAM.
> If your goal is to have fine-grained routing data, and not to carry gigs
> of traffic, that particular router is perfectly adequate.

And to take that concept to its logical extreme.

A Linux box (*BSD, pick your poison) running Quagga or similar will do
the job at an extremely low price point.

Yeah, again, not gonna want to pass gigs of traffic through it, but the
same concept does still apply.
--
Jeff McAdams
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."