Lessons from the AU model

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Mon Jan 21 01:02:11 UTC 2008

On 21/01/2008, at 11:02 AM, Randy Bush wrote:

> and pricing in australia had nothing to do with a monopilist telco
> with a rapacious plan highly well articulated and sold to the govt
> by an arch-capitalist with a silver tongue?

It used to, but not so much now.

The access tail price is still dominated by Telstra's macinations, but
national SDH capacity is relatively competitive these days, and Telstra
are almost completely uninvolved in transpacific pricing.

Transpacific pricing is more driven by the duopoly effects of AJC and
Southern Cross.  Will be interesting to see how PPC-1 shakes the market
up next year.  We're looking forward to it.

   - mark

Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au
  (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:
newton at atdot.dotat.org  (H)
Internode Systems Pty Ltd                 Desk:   +61-8-82282999