Cost per prefix [was: request for help w/ ATT and terminology]

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Mon Jan 21 00:15:52 UTC 2008

On 20-Jan-2008, at 15:34, William Herrin wrote:

> Perhaps your definition of "entry level DFZ router" differs from mine.
> I selected a Cisco 7600 w/ sup720-3bxl or rsp720-3xcl as my baseline
> for an entry level DFZ router.

A new cisco 2851 can be found for under $10k and can take a gig of
RAM. If your goal is to have fine-grained routing data, and not to
carry gigs of traffic, that particular router is perfectly adequate.

If you're prepared to consider second-hand equipment (which seems
fair, since it's not as though the real Internet has no eBay VXRs in
it) you could get better performance, or lower cost, depending on
which way you wanted to turn the dial.

Sometimes it's important to appreciate that the network edge is bigger
than the network core. Just because this kind of equipment wouldn't
come close to cutting it in a carrier network doesn't mean that they
aren't perfectly appropriate for a large proportion of deployed
routers which take a full table.

Joe