An Attempt at Economically Rational Pricing: Time Warner Trial

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sun Jan 20 23:48:07 UTC 2008

	Another view from OZ.

	I've got a plan that is labeled as Unlimited (12G) Cable.

	12G/M (12:00:00-23:59:59)
	24G/M (00:00:00-12:59:59) (Disappears if the base 12G is used up)

	Once the 12G is used up it drops to 64k.

	Every 4th month is free as I also have a telephone with this
	provider.

	The cost actually dropped this month which is a free month.
	Previously the alotted transfer has gone up twice (from
	memory) with no fee increase.  When I got the initial plan
	there wasn't a differentiation between AM and PM and the
	the allowance was for the whole 24 hour period.

	There are plans above and below this one.  I can move up
	at any time in the month and have it take effect straight
	away (untested) and move down at the end of the current
	billing cycle.

	If I have the choice on when to do a high volume operation
	I do it in the AM (24G period).

	My father has a 200MB plan which gives him 600MB.  His use
	is basically email only and software updates.  The later
	is what can cause him problems if he doesn't manage his
	usage correctly.

	I've a friend that works for the provider in question and
	he is on their highest plan.  He has 4 children and a wife
	who are all active users and does max out his plan on
	occasions.

	The big advanatge of these plans is that the cost is fixed
	even if I've used up all my alotted transfer.

	Mark