An Attempt at Economically Rational Pricing: Time Warner Trial

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Sun Jan 20 03:50:40 UTC 2008

On Jan 19, 2008, at 4:25 PM, Taran Rampersad wrote:
> Rod Beck wrote:
>>
>> Ironically, the Net Neutrality debate is about the access providers
>> trying to impose usage-based pricing through the backdor - on the
>> content providers. It goes without saying I oppose it. It's the end
>> users who decide what they view and hence ultimately generate the
>> traffic flows. So the end users should be subject to the usage-
>> based pricing.
>>
> Concur. However, comma, if governments are charging taxes (such as
> the EU) it leads to the question of what people pay taxes *for* -
> and paying more taxes because they use the internet more would mean
> those that use more would pay more in usage fees and pay more in
> taxes - which runs completely against the stacks of documents
> written about equality on the internet. Not taking a side on that,
> but it is an interesting point to chew on - realistically, a balance
> would have to be struck.

Where are the "stacks of documents written about equality on the
internet" that say "customers who use more should pay the same as
customers who use less"?  I am not taking a position on NN here, but I
don't believe either side of the debate has said anything remotely to
that effect.

If one side has, they are being quite silly.

Oh, and where do I plug my 10GE port in for $39.99/month?

> And, as an aside, the Network Neutrality issue affects the globe and
> is only being debated in one country.

Perhaps you should change that? :)

--
TTFN,