Level3/GTEI well-known DNS down?

Joe Provo nanog-post at rsuc.gweep.net
Sat Jan 19 15:33:14 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 02:36:14AM -0700, randal k wrote:
> Anybody know what is up/down with the GTE/Level3 name-servers used the world
> over on 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2? Suddenly started getting no responses from them
> for a couple of our side apps.

Testing from an l3 customer network which got responses and a non-l3
customer network which did not implies that they finally clamped down
on non-customer use of their anycasted resolvers.

> I hope these servers stick around forever, they're kind of an Internet
> legend.

Open resolvers are seriously abused by botnets and related baddies.
Perhaps you might need to run a set of resolvers, or get your service
provider[s] to give you something similar to well-tuned anycasted
resolvers.

Cheers,

Joe
--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE