v6 gluelessness

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Sat Jan 19 01:34:50 UTC 2008

Randy,

On Jan 18, 2008, at 5:07 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
> but, in actual fact, this does not change the ccTLD's zone file or
> date one bit. the request is to add a AAAA RR to the existing A RR
> *for my server* in the root zone to act as glue.

The key term here is "root zone".  As you are undoubtedly aware, there
are those who treat the contents of the root zone (including glue) as
sanctified ground that may only be tread upon after a ritual
purification, sacrifice of numerous virgin chickens, etc.  Or
something like that.

More seriously, as I've said, this is a known problem and your request
will likely help movement towards fixing it.  My apologies that it
hasn't been fixed already.

> the ccTLDs' delegations are not changed by one bit.

I won't argue although there are those that could (and have).

> the iana publishes data about one of *my* servers.  these data have
> become erroneous by omission. i am merely asking that they be fixed.

Understood.  And current policy requires IANA to get explicit
agreement from the AC and TC that they approve that fix (even though
they are not directly responsible).  As much as I might wish
otherwise, IANA (in the layer 9 world it occupies) can't unilaterally
change that policy.

> is the horse dead yet? :)

I (sincerely) wish...

Regards,