v6 gluelessness

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Sat Jan 19 00:19:01 UTC 2008

Randy,

On Jan 18, 2008, at 3:29 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
> i'll bet you one really nice dinner that the icann and commerce
> political process to fix this will actually complete before you can
> get email back from all admin and tech pocs from 23 cctlds.

I would not take that bet.

> and please tell me why any of the tech and admin pocs of these
> cctlds should give a <bleep> what my server's actual ip address is.

The theory is: because they are responsible for the domain. You see,
existing policy states that IANA is not supposed to make changes to
TLDs (especially ccTLDs which are considered to have national
sovereignty issues tied up with them) that have not been explicitly
requested by the administrative and technical contacts for the zone.
I believe the idea is that there was concern that ICANN (seen as a
pawn of the US government in many quarters) could pull the rug out
from under a ccTLD admin without their knowledge.  That would be bad.
Hence, IANA requires explicit approval from _all_ the parties
involved.  And in the case of a shared name server amongst multiple
TLDs, this can take an exceptionally long time.

I am aware of the implications (dare I say silliness) of this
requirement, but that's layer 9 for you.

I believe your request will cause some forward motion towards trying
to resolve this, but don't expect changes overnight.

Regards,
-drc