v6 gluelessness

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Fri Jan 18 23:29:15 UTC 2008

 > IANA is expecting to add the AAAAs of the 4 root servers that
 > have requested it (to date) on/around 4 Feb.

way cool!

 > As you will (or already have) discover, you are entering a
 > particularly unpleasant area of existing policy, namely dealing
 > with a name server that is shared by many TLDs.  We're trying to
 > fix this, but (as with seemingly all things associated with
 > ICANN), it is taking too long.

indeed.  part of the reply i got is utterly amazing!  quote from that
reply (not from you) is as follows:

 > Before we can make the IPv6 address addition for this name server
 > in the root zone, we need to get confirmation from the listed
 > contacts for all 21 ccTLD managers (both the administrative and
 > technical contacts for each TLD).

[ aside from s/21/23/ ]

i'll bet you one really nice dinner that the icann and commerce
political process to fix this will actually complete before you can get
email back from all admin and tech pocs from 23 cctlds.

and please tell me why any of the tech and admin pocs of these cctlds
should give a <bleep> what my server's actual ip address is.  isn't the
dns specifically supposed to provide the level of indirection to obviate
this?

i hope they pay you a lot.

randy