An Attempt at Economically Rational Pricing: Time Warner Trial

Scott McGrath mcgrath at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Jan 18 22:00:19 UTC 2008

Why does the industry as a whole keep trying to drag us back to the old
days of Prodigy, CompuServe, AOL and really high rates per minute of
access.   I am old enough to remember BOS>c202202  <return>

The 'Internet' only took off in adoption once flat rate pricing became
the norm for access.   Yes there are P2P pigs out there but a more
common scenario is the canonical "Little Old Lady in a Pink Sweater"
with a compromised box which is sending spam at a great rate.    Should
she pay the $500 bill when it arrives or would a more prudent and
rational approach be like some universities do.

i.e. Unthrottled pipe until you hit some daily limit like 1-2 gb and
then your pipe drops to something like 64k until midnight or so.    This
keeps the 'pigs' in line and you might want to add a   SUPER tier which
would allow truly unlimited use of the pipe for $200-300 because for
some people it would be worth it for them.      It's  human nature  to
desire a degree  of  predictability
in day to day affairs and as another poster noted that's why prepaid
phones are popular now.   Further with the compromised system analogy I
purchased a prepaid phone for my wife who is a teacher so in the event
it was stolen at school the financial loss would be limited to the
prepaid balance, no multi-thousand dollar bill for overseas calls.  "You
used the  minutes (bandwidth) didn't you?".

Ultimately there is no option but to build out the network as we have
found on the university side of the house as digital instructional
materials and entertainment delivery over the net will
become the norm instead of sending bits of plastic through the mail
(except for luddites like me ;-}).