request for help w/ ATT and terminology

Kevin Loch kloch at kl.net
Thu Jan 17 03:27:45 UTC 2008

Mike Donahue wrote:
> Hi.  I'm by no means an ip/networking expert, and we're having some
> difficulty communicating with the boffins at AT&T.  Any
> input/advice/translation would be appreciated.
>
> We own our own class C netblock.  Our previous provider, Sprint, had no
> problem "adding" it to their network/advertising it (that circuit is now
> disconnected).  We've started using an AT&T colo facility, and we're
> having a lot of trouble trying to get AT&T to do the same thing there
> that Sprint was able to do for us.  AT&T is refusing to advertise our
> netblock/path it to our cabinet unless we have an AS number.  ARIN has
> refused to give us one on the grounds (rightly so) that we're not
> multi-homed.

muli-homing is one way to justify an ASN, "unique routing policy" is
the other.  Your directly assigned /24 could be a reason to have
a unique routing policy, especially if your upstreams are unwilling
to originate it from their ASN(s).  You may want to re-apply for an
ASN and explain that you will be announcing your directly assigned
block in section 14 of the template.

- Kevin