request for help w/ ATT and terminology

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Wed Jan 16 22:12:51 UTC 2008

Darryl Dunkin wrote:
> If you want connectivity from both AT&T and Sprint with your one block,
> you have plenty of justification from ARIN to get your AS assigned
> assuming both feeds come into one location.
>
> However, it looks like you are asking two providers to announce the same
> block at two different locations (different origin AS on each). If this
> is the case, it won't happen, you'd be better off justifying an
> allocation of the additional space from AT&T.

He's asking why AT&T can't do the same thing Sprint was doing, as
they've disconnected Sprint and are using AT&T alone.

My answer: no reason they can't, beyond not wanting to or being really
dumb about it. Tell them you want them to advertise your netblock for
you because you don't need BGP. You don't have to; they can easily do
the routing and announcement for you. If they don't get it easily...
well, I'd go back to Sprint, because you'll probably have severe
problems later when someone updates something, breaks it and you're down
for a week before you can get through to anyone who will listen to your
unsupported (to them) setup. I was in the same situation years ago with
an Eschelon/ATG circuit: they simply didn't get how to work BGP with a
multihomed customer. I could convince them to fix it each time, but then
it'd break 4 months later. After the 4th time they screwed up, I dumped
them and gladly paid more for anyone else so it would actually work.

~Seth