request for help w/ ATT and terminology

Mike Donahue mdonahue at watg.com
Wed Jan 16 21:37:18 UTC 2008

Hi.  I'm by no means an ip/networking expert, and we're having some
difficulty communicating with the boffins at AT&T.  Any
input/advice/translation would be appreciated.

We own our own class C netblock.  Our previous provider, Sprint, had no
problem "adding" it to their network/advertising it (that circuit is now
disconnected).  We've started using an AT&T colo facility, and we're
having a lot of trouble trying to get AT&T to do the same thing there
that Sprint was able to do for us.  AT&T is refusing to advertise our
netblock/path it to our cabinet unless we have an AS number.  ARIN has
refused to give us one on the grounds (rightly so) that we're not
multi-homed.   AT&T says they'll give  us a temporary ASN, and want us
to do eBGP for our netblock.  They sent the technical information over
today, and they want two distinct routers to act as the bgp peers...

Anyway, it's all getting (for us) pretty complicated.   We're a fairly
small firm and just want an Ethernet handoff with our IP block on it.
Sprint didn't blink at the request, but AT&T...  We're getting a good
rate from AT&T for the IP services because it's at their colo.
Switching back to Sprint would definitely be more costly.

Questions:

1.  Is what we're asking for unusual/uncalled for?
2.  What's the technical terminology for the request for AT&T to simply
start advertising our netblock called?  I'm wondering if they're not
understanding our request.

Any other comments/input/suggestions welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

Mike Donahue
WATG