FW: ISPs slowing P2P traffic...

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Tue Jan 15 23:57:43 UTC 2008

Except that upstreams are not at 27 Mbps
(http://i.cmpnet.com/commsdesign/csd/2002/jun02/imedia-fig1.gif show that
you would be using 32 QAM at 6.4 MHz).  The majority of MSOs are at 16-QAM
at 3.2 MHz, which is about 10 Mbps.  We just took over two systems that were
at QPSK at 3.2 Mbps, which is about 5 Mbps.

And upstreams are usually sized not to be more than 250 users per upstream
port.  So that would be a 10:1 oversubscription on upstream, not too bad, by
my reckoning.  The 1000 you are thinking of is probably 1000 users per
downstream power, and there is a usually a 1:4 to 1:6 ratio of downstream to
upstream ports.

Frank