Looking for geo-directional DNS service

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Tue Jan 15 20:03:16 UTC 2008

> Except Hank is asking for true topological distance (latency /
> throughput / packetloss).
>
> Anycast gives you BGP distance, not topological distance.
>
> Say I'm in Ashburn and peer directly with someone in Korea where he
> has a node (1 AS hop), but I get to his node in Ashburn through my
> transit provider (2 AS hops), guess which node anycast will pick?

Ashburn and other major network meet points are oddities in a very complex
network.  It would be fair to note that anycast is likely to be reasonably
effective if deployed in a manner that was mindful of the overall Internet
architecture, and made allowances for such things.

Anycast by itself probably isn't entirely desirable in any case, and could
ideally be paired up with other technologies to "fix" problems like this.

I haven't seen many easy ways to roll-your-own geo-DNS service.  The ones
I've done in the past simply built in knowledge of the networks in question,
and where such information wasn't available, took "best guess" and then may
have done a little research after the fact for future queries.  This isn't
as comprehensive as doing actual latency / throughput / pl checking.

... JG