FW: ISPs slowing P2P traffic...

David E. Smith dave at mvn.net
Tue Jan 15 15:36:54 UTC 2008

Joe Greco wrote:

> Time to stop selling the "always on" connections, then, I guess, because
> it is "always on" - not P2P - which is the fat man never leaving.  P2P
> is merely the fat man eating a lot while he's there.

As long as we're keeping up this metaphor, P2P is the fat man who says
he's gonna get a job real soon but dude life is just SO HARD and crashes
on your couch for three weeks until eventually you threaten to get the
cops involved because he won't leave. Then you have to clean up
thirty-seven half-eaten bags of Cheetos.

Every network has limitations, and I don't think I've ever seen a
network that makes every single end-user happy with everything all the
time. You could pipe 100Mbps full-duplex to everyone's door, and someone
would still complain because they don't have gigabit access to lemonparty.

Whether those are limitations of the technology you chose, limitations
in your budget, policy restrictions, whatever.

As long as you fairly disclose to your end-users what limitations and
restrictions exist on your network, I don't see the problem.

David Smith
MVN.net