FW: ISPs slowing P2P traffic...

Brandon Galbraith brandon.galbraith at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 09:13:28 UTC 2008

On 1/15/08, Adrian Chadd <adrian at creative.net.au> wrote:

> ffs, stop with the crappy analogies.
>
> The internet is like a badly designed commodity network. Built
> increasingly
> cheaper to deal with market pressures and unable to shift quickly to
> shifting
> technologies.
>
> Just like the telcos I recall everyone blasting when I was last actually
> involved in networks bigger than a university campus.
>
> Adrian

I think no matter what happens, it's going to be very interesting as Comcast
rolls out DOCSIS 3.0 (with speeds around 100-150Mbps possible), Verizon FIOS
expands it's offering (currently, you can get 50Mb/s down and 30Mb/sec up),
etc. If things are really as fragile as some have been saying, then the
bottlenecks will slowly make themselves apparent.

-brandon