Asymmetrical routing opinions/debate

Darden, Patrick S. darden at armc.org
Mon Jan 14 15:42:40 UTC 2008

I'm not sure I understand.  If a routing protocol such as BGP is being used, this is considered normal behavior, and the routing determination is made usually wrt either best route or best bandwidth.  In the first case, a return packet would usually follow on the same interface.  In the second case it would be determined by however you have set things up (round robin, 2/3rds on one int and 1/3rd on the other, whatever.)

If you are multi-homed with two backbone providers with static routes, then it is also normal behavior for some packets to enter thru either of your two interfaces, and then to exit on the preferred interface (if no preference is made clear via routing, then the default outbound interface is the one with the lower IP address--e.g. 201.x.y.z would be preferred over 202.x.y.z).

Does that help?

--Patrick Darden
--ARMC