ISPs slowing P2P traffic...

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Jan 13 21:19:41 UTC 2008

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008, David E. Smith wrote:

> It's not the bandwidth, it's the number of packets being sent out. One
> customer, talking to twenty or fifty remote hosts at a time, can "kill"
> a wireless access point in some instances. All those little tiny packets
> tie up the AP's radio time, and the other nine customers call and
> complain.

If it's concurrent tcp connections per customer you're worried about, then
I guess you should aquire something that can actually enforce a limitation
you want to impose.

Or if you want to protect yourself from customers going encrypted on you,
I guess you can start to limit the concurrent number of servers they can
talk to.

I can think of numerous problems with this approach though, so like other
people here have suggested, you really need to look into your technical
platform you use to produce your service as it's most likely is not going
to work very far into the future. P2P isn't going to go away.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se