ISPs slowing P2P traffic...

Geo. geoincidents at nls.net
Sun Jan 13 19:47:13 UTC 2008

> The vast majority of our last-mile connections are fixed wireless.   The
> design of the system is essentially half-duplex with an adjustable ratio
> between download/upload traffic.

This in a nutshell is the problem, the ratio between upload and download
should be 1:1 and if it were then there would be no problems. Folks need to
stop pretending they aren't part of the internet. Setting a ratio where
upload:download is not 1:1 makes you a leech. It's a cheat designed to allow
technology companies to claim their devices provide more bandwidth than they
actually do. Bandwidth is 2 way, you should give as much as you get.

Making the last mile a 18x unbalanced pipe (ie 6mb down and 384K up) is what
has created this problem, not file sharing, not running backups, not any of
the things that require up speed. For the entire internet up speed must
equal down speed or it can't work. You can't leech and expect everyone else
to pay for your unbalanced approach.

Geo.