Q: What do ISPs really think about security issues?

Suresh Ramasubramanian ops.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 06:54:24 UTC 2008

On Jan 11, 2008 10:02 AM, Sean Donelan <sean at donelan.com> wrote:

> That's why I suggested to Rob and other folks the importance of listening
> to what they tell you how to work their particular processes.  Every large
> organization has them, although often the real processes are unwritten.
> Once you understand how the organization works, its much easier to figure
> out how to make it work for you.

All of it translates to

1. X more mailing lists to sign up to (lots and lots more email, great)
2. X more conferences to attend (more miles, yay, that's plat for this
year taken care of)
3. A sizeable amount of reinvention of the wheel too

Fun, isn't it?

Listening is, of course, important. As is coming in with an open mind
and without a holier than thou attitude .. especially if the attitude
is combined with the sort of URGENT!! TAKE THIS PHISHER DOWN NOW!!"
abrasiveness nobody else really appreciates.

That, by the way, is why I'm glad to see more and more organizations
holding collocated / joint meetings .. across, to use some igov jargon
(and for want of a better word) "stakeholder communities" .. banks
talking to ISPs talking to LE / regulators talking to independent
researchers etc.

--srs