Microsoft's Black Tuesday bandwidth impact?

Alastair Johnson aj at sneep.net
Thu Jan 10 18:22:57 UTC 2008

Jared Mauch wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 02:47:53PM -0600, Frank Bulk wrote:
>> Are MSFT's monthly updates really a non-event in regards to internet
>> bandwidth?
>
> 	Most of these things are pushed out to some sort of CDN or
> multiple CDN networks.  Compared to lots of other things, i'm sure the
> downloads are much smaller when compared to things like p2p,
> streaming media foo and legal video downloads.

When I last had something to do at an ISP[1], we would regularly see our
Akamai deployment jump from 10-20Mbps at 8am on Wednesday morning[2], to
40-60Mbps by 9am for an hour or two, around Patch Tuesday.

We found it very noticeable then.  I don't see it so noticeable on a
carrier network doing ~8Gbps with hundreds of K of subscribers, these days.

aj

[1] 2004
[2] NZ is some hours ahead of the US timed patch releases.  8am-9am is
when most people turned their PCs on in the morning, which then appeared
to commence downloading.