Microsoft's Black Tuesday bandwidth impact?

Bill Nash billn at billn.net
Thu Jan 10 17:26:41 UTC 2008

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, Gadi Evron wrote:

> On a similar note, anti virus companies add a delta of rand out of 300
> minutes or so, for the same reason--coupled with the need of the net
> connection to not be self-DDoS'd.
>
> I find online game updates to be much more interested, bandwidth-wise, but
> never looked at MS's update as in organizations I was with it was controlled
> by a local centralized server (or 100).

Game patches are a different animal, the bandwidth profile is very
different, since it has a heavy user demand on it, with patch time
determined by the user and is often as close to release as possible. Very
often, the patch is a content update that'll include graphic content.
Blizzard did the right thing going with a torrent style patcher, even if
they use a CDN to seed it. In my experience, they're one of the few that
does/did that.

- billn