ISPs slowing P2P traffic...

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Jan 9 21:21:30 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 03:58:13PM -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 15:36:50 EST, Matt Landers said:
> >
> > Semi-related article:
> >
> >  http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gyYIyHWl3sEg1ZktvVRLdlmQ5hpwD8U1UOFO0
>
> Odd, I saw *another* article that said that while the FCC is moving to
> investigate unfair behavior by Comcast, Congress is moving to investigate
> unfair behavior in the FCC.
>
> http://www.reuters.com/article/industryNews/idUSN0852153620080109
>
> This will probably get.... interesting.

	The FCC isn't just a small pool of people, like any gov't agency
there's a *lot* of people behind all this stuff.  From public-safety to
calea to broadcast, pstn, etc..

	FCC was quick to step in when some isp was blocking vonage
stuff.  This doesn't seem to be as big of an impact IMHO (ie: it won't
obviously block your access to a PSAP/911) but still needs to be addressed.

	We'll see what happens, and how the 160Mb/s DOCSIS 3.0 connections
and infrastructure to support it pan out on the comcast side..

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net