Microsoft's Black Tuesday bandwidth impact?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Jan 9 21:05:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 02:47:53PM -0600, Frank Bulk wrote:
> Are MSFT's monthly updates really a non-event in regards to internet
> bandwidth?

	Most of these things are pushed out to some sort of CDN or
multiple CDN networks.  Compared to lots of other things, i'm sure the
downloads are much smaller when compared to things like p2p,
streaming media foo and legal video downloads.

	A lot of IT departments also use localized update servers
so they get one copy for their 1000's of machines then do the distro
internally to their network.

	Even at my house I run most everything through a caching proxy
since compared to my "internet" speed, the disk+ethernet+squid provides
a reasonable hitrate.  I think there were 3 patches this time and
they were quite small overall.

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net