[admin] Using the NANOG list as a paging mechanism

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 00:53:24 UTC 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 7:22 PM, Deepak Jain <deepak at ai.net> wrote:

> > They're almost always short, and have Subject: lines that indicate
> > what they're about, so it's easy to skip over them based on the
> > Subject: line, and Gmail thinks I have 6.5GB of remaining quota space
> > so it's not even worth the effort of deleting them.   Sometimes
> > they're even about issues like getting through the AOL email-rejection
> > loop that are useful to multiple people.  It's operational and de
> > minimus.
>

> Its operational and de minimus and sometimes the most simple way to
> arrange something... e.g. a mail filter/blackhole and no obvious contact
> phone number (e.g. the remote website is affected by the blackhole, etc).
>
> This is not a suggestion that NANOG should be carte-blanche a paging
> service, but in the few cases it appears, it doesn't seem to be
> clue-deprived requests that often.

Hi Deepak,

Agreed, and both that are described contain content, or at least
that's the way I'm reading your reply. We are specifically pointing
out the paging messages that contain nothing but an empty request for
"someone from xyz to contact $foo" for an unknown reason. I think it's
fair for us to ask for some content if we're going to see these
requests forwarded to ~9k users.

Best Regards,

Martin Hannigan
NANOG MLC Member