[admin] Using the NANOG list as a paging mechanism

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Wed Jan 9 00:22:20 UTC 2008

> They're almost always short, and have Subject: lines that indicate
> what they're about, so it's easy to skip over them based on the
> Subject: line, and Gmail thinks I have 6.5GB of remaining quota space
> so it's not even worth the effort of deleting them.   Sometimes
> they're even about issues like getting through the AOL email-rejection
> loop that are useful to multiple people.  It's operational and de
> minimus.

Its operational and de minimus and sometimes the most simple way to
arrange something... e.g. a mail filter/blackhole and no obvious contact
phone number (e.g. the remote website is affected by the blackhole, etc).

This is not a suggestion that NANOG should be carte-blanche a paging
service, but in the few cases it appears, it doesn't seem to be
clue-deprived requests that often.

Deepak Jain
AiNET