Assigning IPv6 /48's to CPE's?

John Dupuy jdupuy-list at socket.net
Mon Jan 7 23:09:08 UTC 2008

> If you go to
> http://www.getipv6.info/index.php/IPv6_Presentations_and_Documents
> there is at least one presentation from Comcast, a residential
> broadband provider who explained that they simply cannot continue
> in business without IPv6. They started IPv6 deployment planning
> in 2005. If you don't know of CPE that supports IPv6, maybe you
> should ask a broadband ISP that is serious about surviving in business
> past the crunch of 2010.

I agree. I regularly ask my vendors when IPv6 support is coming. All of
them, from ComTrend to Zoom to 3com to etc. have stated that they are
not even started working on IPv6 yet. They all plan on it, though, for
what that is worth. The closest I've found so far is the soho boxes from
cisco. Not really aimed at the residential market, however.

Business-level service is supported now, of course.

>> IMO, the only answers so far:
>>   businesses get /48
>>   dialup gets /64
>>

> Wrong!
> The answer so far is that EVERYBODY gets a /48, but if you think that
> there is a risk that you won't be able to get additional /32s when you
> outgrow your first allocation, then give a /56 to RESIDENTIAL SITES.
> This is not the same as dialup, i.e. residential sites could be
> connected
> with DSL, T1s, wireless, or whatever. In fact, if a business is
> connected
> via dialup, you should give them a /48, because businesses have a habit
> of
> continuous growth, unlike residences which tend to top out at 5 or 6
> residents.

We will probably disagree about this one. I will probably give out /48
to residential broadband when we expand IPv6 to residential. But dialup
users typically have zero networks; not even the single LAN of res
broadband. The "CPE" is the laptop (or PC) they dialed in with. ARIN
says "/64 when it is known that one and only one subnet is needed".

Not that changing "all" of our IPv6 dialup users would take more than a
couple of calls :). Talk about a narrow niche.

John