IPv6 tracking assignments (OSS recommendations) See www.internetassociatesllc.com

John L Lee johnllee at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 5 02:23:20 UTC 2008

Marty,

I am not quibbling, but I did not recommend IPal but suggested that that
DJ look at the IA web site at IPal because of the question he posed.

 "Anyone have any experience with software that will track both IPv4 and
IPv6 assignments in the OSS world? Any recommendations?

While at EBS as the Director of Network Engineering we had copies of
VitalQIP running including the DNS and DHCP portions. IPal a next
generation IPAM does not compete with QIP buts sits in front of it with
its IP Address Lifecycle Model with Engineered IP Addresses. IPal can
drive both IPAM, DHCP and DNS vendors software such as QIP and other
vendors supporting multiple complete v4, v6 and ASN space under
management, any size block allocation with multiple allocation
algorithms including /64 EUI-64 and random. It supports multiple vendors
IPAM, DHCP and DNS from one version of software.

You are on the NANOG mailing list committee and I was trying to be very
careful in my wording not to cross over the line into sales and
marketing activities on a technical list. Having known Dorn Hetzel and
Randy Bush for over twenty years and having been on this list for a
number of years, I assumed you knew my affiliation with IA and I use my
personal business e-mail account not my "official" IA account even
though IA does several network engineering projects with high
performance optical and IP networks. (We need to meet at the next beer
and gear.)

IA was started in 2002 because of a lack of complete IP address life
cycle solutions since only point tools that did some IPAM, DNS and DHCP
were available. IPal was introduced in 2003 at an AFCEA conference
supporting v4, v6 and ASN aggregate trees, multiple routing domains.
Engineered IP Addresses are valid CIDR addresses that are unique within
a given routing domain. The IP Address Lifecycle Model was developed to
support allocation, assignment, aggregation, automatic reclamation of IP
space while maintaining the accuracy and integrity of the Engineered IP
Addresses. There are several patents awarded and multiple ones pending
in NA, Europe and Asia for this next generation technology. IPals patent
pending technology allows organization to manage multiple complete v4
domains with multiple RFC1918 space and multiple complete v6 domains
supporting equipment, connections (circuits and LANs i.e. point to point
or multi-point) with bi-directional XML/SOAP interfaces connecting to
OSS, NMS, IDS and IPS systems. IPal is currently the only solution that
US Government agencies are using to develop their v6 address plans to
meet the June 2008 deadline for passing v6 traffic on their backbones.

Best Regards,

John (ISDN) Lee
CTO,  Internet Associates, LLC
SME on IP Address Management & IP Address Management Tools and Solutions
for two or three IPv6 Organizations

Background - I started pre-Ethernet with modems, Pascal, ADA, Modula II,
ISDN, PDP 7, 8's and 11's, Ethernet, TCP/IP, ATM, Frame, VoATM (video
and voice), VTC,. Optical switching, MPLS, T1, T3s, SONET/SDH, VoIP,  etc...

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this e-mail are those of the author
and do not reflect the official position of any commercial or Government
organization or agency.