SMTP addresses in <>

Justin Scott jscott at gravityfree.com
Fri Jan 4 16:03:52 UTC 2008

> his arguments is "even hotmail does not keep
> up the standards" and if we ignore them as

It sounds like he's admitting that the RFC is correct, but since Hotmail
will accept "malformed" messages, so should everyone else.  He basically
wants you to adjust your server to be more lax so he doesn't have to
adjust his to get in line with the RFC.  Depending on your business and
how important mail is you may or may not be able to tell him to fix his
MTA.  Personally, if his mail isn't spam I'd lean more toward the "let
it through" side of the argument for the sake of cooperation, though if
he followed the standards there wouldn't be a problem to begin with.
That may be worth pointing out.

-Justin Scott