v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Fri Jan 4 00:31:32 UTC 2008

Thus spake "Simon Lyall" <simon at darkmere.gen.nz>
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2008, Deepak Jain wrote:
>> Is there anything inherently harmful with suggesting that filtering at
>> RIR boundaries should be expected, but those that accept somewhat
>> more lenient boundaries are nice guys??? When the nice guys run
>> out of resources, they can filter at RIR boundaries and say they are
>> doing so as a security upgrade :_).
>
> So how would this work for large companies?
>
> In theory multinationals like Morgan Stanley, Wall-Mart or HSBC should
> only get at most a /48 from each RIR.

In what theory?  They'd get at _minimum_ a /48 from each RIR that has
approved PIv6.  If they needed more, they merely have to fill out the
appropriate paperwork showing justification.  If they operate in regions
where the RIR hasn't approved PIv6, they'd route around the failure there
and use space assigned by other RIRs.  (Not saying I approve of that, but
it's reality.)

Currently ARIN is approving all requests for more than a /48 since there is
no definition of what "justify" means in that context.  Ebay, which is
hardly the size of the companies you listed, got a /41.  That obviously
needs fixing, but the problem is the opposite of the one you seem to be
theorizing.

> How should they handle region offices, Especially mutihomed ones?

Announce their prefix from all locations, with more-specifics for TE
purposes.  Presumably their upstreams would carry the more-specifics since
they're being paid to, but folks further away would filter them and only see
the covering aggregate, which is good enough.

(Note this assumes they have an internal network; if they didn't, each
disconnected part would be a "site" and qualify for a /48 on its own.
That's a suboptimal solution, though, for reasons too numerous to list.)