v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

Jamie Bowden jamie at photon.com
Thu Jan 3 15:21:03 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog at merit.edu [mailto:owner-nanog at merit.edu] On Behalf Of
Leo Bicknell
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2007 8:51 AM
To: North American Network Operators Group
Subject: Re: v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

In a message written on Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 11:27:13AM +0100, Iljitsch
van Beijnum wrote:
> 100% of the DHCP functionality). But apart from that, some of the
> choices made along the way make DHCPv6 a lot harder to use than DHCP
> for IPv4. Not only do you lack a default gateway (which is actually a

> good thing for fate sharing reasons) but also a subnet prefix length
> and any extra on-link prefixes. So even if you do address
> configuration with DHCPv6 you need RAs for that other information.

I would note, it's not too late to fix these problems.  We don't
have wide spread IPv6 deployment yet, and I can't imagine it's all
that hard to send a default gateway in DHCPv6, for example.

Someone earlier threw out an offhand 'preferred gateway' DHCPv6
parameter as a possibility.  This is actually a nifty idea...

"Hey, you there, use potential gateways in the following order!"

It has the same utility and simplicity that MX records do.

Jamie