Assigning IPv6 /48's to CPE's?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Jan 3 09:10:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008, Rick Astley wrote:

> If Bob has a multihomed network, he can't just give one /48 to a customer in
> NY and the next one to a customer in CA unless he wants to fill up Internet
> routing tables with /48's, so he will have to assign large aggregate blocks
> to each region.

Could you please elaborate on this? Unless Bob is actually breaking the
"single AS needs to have common IGP and be connected internally", I don't
understand the relevance of your statement above. Just because he's
multihomed doesn't mean he can't just announce /32 and then internally
handle the routing (of course he should do aggregation though, but perhaps
is smaller chunks).

> It seems to me while being extra super sure we meet goal 1 of making
> sure NAT is gone for ever (and ever) we fail goal 2 of not allocating a
> bunch of prefixes to ISP's that are too small.

Well, if you need a /20 for your business needs, you should request it.
Afaik as long as you justify it, it shouldn't be a problem?

But I do agree that /56 should be enough for residential users for quite a
while, so let's start there.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se