v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Thu Jan 3 00:16:09 UTC 2008

> I think this goes back to my point about DHCP, today there is a
> business practice and set of business requirements that work for a
> host of reasons. Expecting that in v6 these requirements will
> evaporate is not wise.

changing the business model and freeing the customer from the "evil
greedy bastard isps" (yes, that was the term used) was an often explicit
goal of many of ipv6's core designers.

in some ways, i sympathize with this.  many aspects of our business
models are forced into contortions by the address/routing model, bgp
limitations, ...

but, indeed, expecting radical change when there is not even a
transition plan is, shall we be kind and say, overly idealistic.

randy