v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Wed Jan 2 23:23:54 UTC 2008

On 2-Jan-2008, at 18:09, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> However, word on the street is that in order to get a new BGP
> attribute defined in the IETF idr wg, you need assurances up front
> that people are actually going to implement and use that new
> attribute.

Tony Li and I went through that process with AS_PATHLIMIT, which has
received an early code-point assignment from the IANA. The idr wg
chairs followed the prescribed process to the letter, which is perhaps
where perceptions of trouble come from, but the process was not
unreasonable or particularly difficult (and for AS_PATHLIMIT the
chairs were prompt and efficient in doing their part).

(The reason AS_PATHLIMIT hasn't progressed since is a lack of follow-
through from those who had expressed interest in the implementation;
one of these days I will find time to enquire after progress from
various people, and perhaps it can be resurrected. Note that I'm not
suggesting that AS_PATHLIMIT is a magic bullet for anybody :-)

Joe