v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

Azinger, Marla marla.azinger at frontiercorp.com
Wed Jan 2 19:32:47 UTC 2008

I'm glad to see more people are starting to look at this issue.  If you are just now beginning to look into the IPv6 Multihoming issue I would start with reading a few strings on IETF, NANOG and ARIN mail lists and the following document posted 2 years ago at: http://www.nro.org/documents/pdf/MultihomeIPv6procon.pdf

Decisions need to be made soon and all kinds of policy can effect that.  Their are dueling issues at hand on this matter and we need to find a balance.  Traffic Engineering and Multihoming is an Engineering requirement.  Not exploding the tables is also a requirement.  Right now policy only inadvertently supports PI to be used for Multihoming and policy inadvertently does not support TE or Multihoming.  Not permitting TE or Multihoming on large networks is not going to be accepted by the large networks as an answer.  So it would be a "good thing" if our community could work out a balance that permits TE and Multihoming on a managed scale.  Otherwise those networks will just start doing whatever they want or need.

Cheers!
Marla