v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Wed Jan 2 18:53:18 UTC 2008

Donald Stahl wrote:

>> in real life; people still find it necessary to carve up their
>> aggregates and announce more-specifics in strategic directions. I
>> would suggest that not *all* observed instances of such deaggregation
>> are due to operator ignorance
> There's a big difference between deaggregating a couple of bits for TE
> purposes and announcing 64 /24's from your /18 :)
>
> We need to decide what's acceptable as a community and then enforce it
> as a community. If someone starts announcing dozens of prefixes in v6
> then they get blocked they either get blocked or they get a filter that
> restricts them to their covering route (or blocks them if they don't
> have it).

On this note: In the v6 world when multihoming, what size network block is the minimum recommended allocation? In the v4 Internet, most major networks I've seen do not accept anything longer than /24 and this is what is allocated to customers with their own AS when multihoming regardless of the usage of the /24. I'm just curious if this is currently outlined somewhere already as what was decided. Are we going to see /64's, /56's or /48's polluting the v6 routing table just as /24's are today on the v4 table? I understand most of that pollution is not because of multihoming, but rather TE or negligence/lack of clue. With the advent of 32 bit ASN's, this could possibly become a concern however... that and people trying to do TE with their v6 space as they did with v4. I agree with the above reply that this needs to be ironed out as a community and was curious how multihoming customer networks fit into this equation.

--

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)940-6100 (NOC)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"There is no objective reality. Only that which is measured exists.
We construct reality, and only in the moment of measurement or observation." -- Niels Bohr