v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

Donald Stahl don at calis.blacksun.org
Wed Jan 2 18:23:39 UTC 2008

> in real life; people still find it necessary to carve up their aggregates and
> announce more-specifics in strategic directions. I would suggest that not
> *all* observed instances of such deaggregation are due to operator ignorance
There's a big difference between deaggregating a couple of bits for TE
purposes and announcing 64 /24's from your /18 :)

We need to decide what's acceptable as a community and then enforce it as
a community. If someone starts announcing dozens of prefixes in v6 then
they get blocked they either get blocked or they get a filter that
restricts them to their covering route (or blocks them if they don't have
it).

-Don