v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Wed Jan 2 18:05:41 UTC 2008

On 2-Jan-2008, at 10:21, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> On 2 jan 2008, at 6:42, Christopher Morrow wrote:
>
>> out of curiousity how is this sort of thing supposed to be done in
>> v6?
>> (traffic engineering given the '1 prefix per ISP' standard mantra)
>
> AS path prepending, local preference, that kind of thing...

Common practice with IPv4 seems to suggest that those knobs aren't
sufficient in real life; people still find it necessary to carve up
their aggregates and announce more-specifics in strategic directions.
I would suggest that not *all* observed instances of such
deaggregation are due to operator ignorance :-)

I imagine that the same practice will continue (is continuing?) with
IPv6, to the extent that peoples' bogon filters allow it to have any
practical effect.

Joe