v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Wed Jan 2 10:26:30 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 00:42:59 -0500
"Christopher Morrow" <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 1, 2008 8:29 AM, Mark Smith
> <nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 12:57:17 +0100

> > > Right, so you combine the downsides of both approaches.
> > >
> > > It doesn't work when ARIN does it:
> > >

> > Well, ARIN aren't running the Internet route tables. If they were, I'd
> > assume they'd force AS6453 to do the right thing and aggregate their
> > address space.
> >

> 11920 - cogeco who I presume (just guessing) is doing this either
> because they have not aggregated by mistake or have to shed load and
> load-balance). I don't think teleglobe (6453) is at fault here...
>
> out of curiousity how is this sort of thing supposed to be done in v6?
> (traffic engineering given the '1 prefix per ISP' standard mantra)
>

> > > *  24.122.32.0/20   4.68.1.166               0             0 3356 6453
> > > 11290 i
> >
> > Static assignments of /56 to customers make sense to me, and that's the
> > assumption I've made when suggesting the addressing scheme I proposed.
> > Once you go static with /56s, you may as well make it easy for both
> > yourself and the customer to move to a /48 that encompasses the
> > original /56 (or configure the whole /48 for them from the outset).
>
> I think the assumption most folks make with DSL/cable is that
> end-users get dynamic assignments from a local (to the PE device)
> pool, similar to ipv4.

IPv6 is different to IPv4, don't assume things are to be done the
same. Some things are, some things can be, somethings shouldn't be.

Why was dynamic addressing for residential customers in IPv4 put in in
the first place? Occasional dial up access would be my guess as to the
root reason - it was wasting IPv4 addresses if your infrastructure
couldn't handle all of your customers dialing up at once.

Broadband has of course changed that, when you sell a broadband service,
you have to assume that the customer will be connected 24x7, so you
need as many IPv4 addresses as you've got customers - and the same will
apply for IPv6. Why do dynamic when you don't need to?

--

        "Sheep are slow and tasty, and therefore must remain constantly
         alert."