Qwest desires mesh to reduce unused standby capacity

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Thu Feb 28 03:59:04 UTC 2008

Frank Bulk - iNAME wrote:

> To keep this OT as much as possible, my question is if a mesh-configuration
> of backup routes (where one link could provide 'protection' for many) would
> be considered a sufficient replacement for SONET rings, or if the Qwest CTO
> is really trying to get out of providing sub 50-msec protected loops and
> encouraging L3 and above protection schemes, so that they can even further
> over-subscribe their network.

It's cool that the telecommunications companies have caught up with the
times. they're only about 44 years late.

http://www.rand.org/pubs/research_memoranda/RM3097/RM3097.chapter2.html

That said the 3 cross country fiber paths they have weren't dictated by
the network model they were operating under but rather Southern/Union
Pacific's available right-of-way and Philip Anschutz's relatively
efficent use of capital.