Yahoo! Mail/Sys Admin

chuck goolsbee chucklist at forest.net
Wed Feb 27 22:03:51 UTC 2008

>Do you have any users who forward their email to their free
>@yahoo.com addresses from your server?

That is likely the core of Justin's problem.

We've found the way to minimize issues with yahoo mail are:

1. Clean up (ideally eliminate) the .forwarders on your end.
	This requires some effort on your part to educate your
	customers on how they are making their own lives
	more difficult with their behaviors. Always a tough task.

2. Scour your outbound queues of garbage
	"be conservative in what you send"

3. Agressive delivery retries, but early discards.
	In other words, we've noted the yahoo MX machines seem to
	operate their greylists independantly, so if one stops you
	the next one may not. Don't wait too long before you retry
	but dump mail after X hours if yahoo won't accept it. We've
	settled on 6 hours. Any longer and it just stays backed up
	forever.

>Let me know if you get in touch with anyone :)
>
>-Ray

I agree with Ray on this one... I'll gladly buy a sushi lunch for the
first real yahoo mail admin that ever appears in meatspace. I'm
convinced that there are no real humans working mail ops there.

--chuck