[admin] [summary] RE: YouTube IP Hijacking

Barry Greene (bgreene) bgreene at cisco.com
Tue Feb 26 17:53:27 UTC 2008

Missing a tag in the trigger is why you put the Murphy Filters in the
trigger router's route-map (the point you were getting at but being even
more explicit).

In my route map on the trigger router, I would not allow any static
route triggers which did not have an exact match. I would also set the
BGP advertisement to have - by default - the no-export community, a
community range for all my triggers, and limit all my triggers to be
below /24 (i.e /25 - /32).

I then have three things to set my egress prefix filters to all my peers
and customers:

	- comply with the default communities (no export)
	- filter all communities in my trigger range
	- filter anything in the /25 - /32 range.

BTW - "Murphy Filters" is my term for policy filters which expect
"Murphy's Law of Networking" to kick in. You have to expect human error.

In addition to this, I would have my upstream mirror my filters. Life
sucks when you advertise big blocks of the Internet and you become one
giant sink hole (until you go congestion collapse, drop the BGP session
and start flapping like crazy).