YouTube IP Hijacking

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Feb 25 06:11:33 UTC 2008

On Feb 25, 2008, at 12:31 AM, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> Seriously -- a number of us have been warning that this could happen.
> More precisely, we've been warning that this could happen *again*; we
> all know about many older incidents, from the barely noticed to the
> very
> noisy.  (AS 7007, anyone?)  Something like S-BGP will stop this cold.

As much as I love to make fun of Avi + Vinny, as7007 was not really
the problem, Sprint running custom cisco code which wouldn't let go of
prefixes after the router announcing them had been turned off for more
than an hour was.  Plus, problems which happened over 10 years ago is
a bit far back in Internet time. :)

> Yes, I know there are serious deployment and operational issues.  The
> question is this: when is the pain from routing incidents great enough
> that we're forced to act?  It would have been nice to have done
> something before this, since now all the world's script kiddies have
> seen what can be done.

I would argue the answer to your question is "not yet", as we haven't
done anything yet.

We can argue whether that is the "right" answer, but it is still THE
answer.

--
TTFN,
patrick