ISP's who where affected by the misconfiguration: start using IRR and checking your BGP updates (Was: YouTube IP Hijacking)

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Feb 24 23:13:47 UTC 2008

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> * Routing Registry checking, as per the above two
>  rr.arin.net & whois.ripe.net contains all the data you need
>  Networks who are not in there are simply not important enough to
>  exist on the internet as clearly those ops folks don't care about
>  their network...

For us who actually have customers we care about, we probably find it
better for business to try to make sure our own customers can't announce
prefixes they don't own, but accept basically anything from the world that
isn't ours.

Using pure RR based filtering just isn't cost efficient today, as these
borks (unintentional mostly) we see sometimes are few and fairly far
between, but problems due to wrong or missing information in the RRs is
plentyful and constant.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se