YouTube IP Hijacking

Paul Ferguson fergdawg at netzero.net
Sun Feb 24 22:41:26 UTC 2008

-- "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb at byrneit.net> wrote:

>It seems to me that a more immediately germane matter regarding BGP
>route propagation is prevention of hijacking of critical routes.

The best you can _probably_ hope for is a opt-in mechanism in
which you are alerted that prefixes you have "registered" with the
aforementioned system are being originated by an ASN which is not
authorized to originate them.

A lot of smart folks have given some thought to this exact issue,
and perhaps one of the best examples of this is:

"PHAS: A Prefix Hijack Alert System"
Mohit Lad, Dan Massey, Dan Pei, Yiguo Wu, Beichuan Zhang, and
Lixia Zhang
Proceedings of 15th USENIX Security Symposium 2006
http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~mohit/cameraReady/ladSecurity06.pdf

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson