YouTube IP Hijacking

Will Hargrave will at harg.net
Sun Feb 24 20:38:34 UTC 2008

Sargun Dhillon wrote:

> So, it seems that youtube's ip block has been hijacked by a more
> specific prefix being advertised. This is a case of IP hijacking, not
> case of DNS poisoning, youtube engineers doing something stupid, etc.
> For people that don't know. The router will try to get the most specific
> prefix. This is by design, not by accident.

You are making the assumption of malice when the more likely cause is
one of accident on the part of probably stressed NOC staff at 17557.

They probably have that /24 going to a gateway walled garden box which
replies with a site saying 'we have banned this', and that /24 route is
leaking outside of their AS via PCCW due to dodgy filters/communities.

Will