IPV4 as a Commodity for Profit

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun Feb 24 16:33:05 UTC 2008

In article <A088046F-DA64-4676-9C7B-5313F9145A3C at muada.com>, Iljitsch
van Beijnum <iljitsch at muada.com> writes

>I'm not sure why exactly you want to know how much space goes to how
>many organizations

Several days ago, it seemed to me that Stephen Sprunk suggested that it
would only take a change of policy of a handful of large ISPs (I'm
carefully using new words here), to think "party's over" and start
converting their users to 10/8 addresses, and therefore 90% of the
demand for new allocations dries up.

On the other hand, if the 90% of allocations are going to (large) new
entrants, and others with a less homogenous or convertible user base,
the demand might not dry up so suddenly.

>We know that pretty much 10% of the requests is responsible for 90% of
>the address space. So apparently 90% of the address space is going to
>at most 10% of the LIRs.

What we haven't established yet is whether this is the same 10% that
already had 90% of the allocations (from last century), growing their
empire, or new kids on the block.
--
Roland Perry